Thursday 3 October 2013

Soulmates, Holly Bourne


Poppy is a 17 year old who doesn’t believe in love.

Noah is a heartthrob guitarist sleeping with women to fill a void.

I haven’t cried at a book in a long time, but the ending of this book broke my heart, I cried. I cried for the love that couldn’t continue and the love that had such potential. It is such a beautiful book and an amazing love story.

At the beginning I wasn’t took fussed about this book, Poppy seemed to annoy me because she was such a cynic; she hated clichés and the ‘norm’. She moaned a lot, especially about where she lived in ‘Middletown’ but as the book went on and she met Noah she got less annoying. I am not sure if it’s because her character changed so drastically and she became a cliché or if it was because I loved Noah.

From the Noah appeared in the book I loved him, he wasn’t afraid to tell Poppy how he felt even though she could throw it back in his face, he wasn’t scared of this unseen force pulling them together, he embraced it and wanted to be with Poppy, he loved her.

The friendship between Poppy and Ruth got on my nerves, I found myself kept wanting to shout at Poppy to just stop being friends with her; she was so snobby and slutty. Throwing herself at Noah in front of Will and Poppy was really low, but Poppy would just let it slide and I never understood why.

The ending of this book shocked me, I thought this would be a classic Young Adult love story and they’d live happily ever after, but I was so wrong. They were torn apart, unable to stay together because of what their love was doing to the world, the freak weather and power outages. I cried, I felt like their love was so strong and should have been able to overcome anything, but the one thing they couldn’t do was sacrifice the world so they could be together, and it was heart wrenching. Reading the letter Noah wrote to Poppy at the end honestly broke my heart, I woke up after reading this book feeling drained – honestly had a book hangover.



I enjoyed the storyline of this book, even though Poppy's character was annoying, it was well written. A real love story. I give this book a 3.5* rating.


No comments:

Post a Comment